Nguni Portrait – Ink on paper, A3 200gsm.
I had the opportunity recently to paint cows again for a commissioned ink work, which is now in its home in Hermanus enjoying the ocean air.
Some notes on the process:
- A fairly rough sketch in 5B pencil on some paper to warm up and have a better look at the image – hey bingo, a separate artwork (below).
- Plot the basic lines in 2H pencil on the A3 paper using a light box (read: my window) and the reference image for proportion accuracies.
- Ink time! Start with large areas of washes in very watered down ink where the darkest areas/shadows lie in the image.
- Work on layers, painting smaller areas but darker shades, building up the details.
- Use your finest paintbrush, add the detailed finishing lines, like lashes and stray hairs.
- Hey pesto. Nguni portrait done 🙂
All images are © Amy Slatem.