I was sitting on my couch one evening recently and got onto thinking about things, and things as gifts, and life, and more things, and home… and then thought about Mother’s Day, well more like wondering when it is and if I’d accidentally missed it already, isn’t it usually in March? Oh flip, what I am going to do if it’s passed already!
Google reassured me though that in fact, Mother’s Day is still to come, on Sunday 10th of May to be specific. So now you can relax knowing that you still have a good amount of time – the whole of April – to start thinking of a special gift for yo mamma… Like, let’s see… Now wouldn’t a thoughtful white-framed portrait painted of your mom be a great idea?
That’s how the concept for my next illustration series came about, entitled: To mother.
It’ll be a collection of black ink portraits painted on A6 (105x148mm) 200gsm card for commissioning individuals of their lovely mothers, which can then be ordered with a white, box-frame and couriered straight to your mom, or to you. To keep. For yourself. Because your mom is cool and you wanna see a picture of her everyday.
The title’s concept:
1. (to) mother: (verb)
Past tense: mothered; noun: mothering
Bring up (a child) with care and affection.
“The art of mothering”: look after (someone) kindly and protectively, sometimes excessively so.
2. To, Mother
To address a letter to… yo mama!
3. To mother
An art series of commissioned portraits painted by Amy (me) of moms for Mother’s Day (Sunday 10 May 2015), to send as a present to your ma (or to keep for yourself).
How to get your mom’s portrait done:
1. I’m going to need a high res pic of your mother, preferably where her full face (no half-cut-off heads, please) and shoulders takes up most of the frame, or maybe you want to go with something more expressive that involves the whole figure, that’s cool too. REMEMBER: the more interesting and engaging the photo, the more likely the painting is bound to be too.
2. Email the photo and postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll book a slot for you and send a invoice with banking deets. The queue to get your portrait done is going to be dependent on demand at the time, and if it is too close to the commission cut off date (30 APRIL 2015) I might not be able to do it, sorry. Right of Admission Reserved (?).
3. As a formality I require the deposit before starting (see below for pricing*), you can opt to pay full price then too (deposit + frame (optional) + postage).
4. Once the portrait is done, I’ll send you an email with a snap of the work, and the payment balance (if due). You can add a frame to your order still.
5. All portraits will be safely packaged and sent to the courier by Wednesday, 6 May, (tbc) to arrive the next day and in time for the Mother’s Day weekend.
– All portraits (deposit) R350
– White box-frame (pictured above) – optional R100
– Next-day courier (Aramex) R120
– Registered mail (non-framed portraits only, I can’t guarantee when it’ll arrive though) R50
If you decide on the full, framed & next-day delivery package, the total price is R570.
The frame can both be hung up on the wall, or stand on a table.